Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Molly Chronicles - Play Ball





                After that, Shadow and I played often and were responsible for many hits and some great saves.
            So many wonderful memories of my baseball season with the Red Sox! Cheering for Shadow as he ran the bases and made double plays! John Farrell sharing his rib bones with me. The day the squirrel got loose in the bleachers!
            David Ortiz and I formed a very close friendship. I tried his chewing tobacco, and he tried my pig's ear, but neither one of us switched. (There's no accounting for taste.)
            We were a team, first, last and always. We had each other's backs. We cheered for the wins and consoled each other through the dry streaks. We hung out together at a place where everybody knows your name, drinking beer and talking about the women and the dogs we had loved.
            As Shadow and I made play after play, our names became known, and the fan mail poured in. I was thrilled to receive a letter from Caesar, the police dog. He said he remembered our brief encounter at the court house, and that he and his human have been following my career with interest.       
            But my fan mail was nothing compared to Shadow's. He received bags of mail every day, and all kinds of  presents from squeaky toys to tennis balls. One fan even sent him a large bucket of liver snacks which he did not share.


            And the baseball groupies! In every city we  came to, Shadow was met by a pack of admirers sniffing around and licking his nose.  There's no denying it - Shadow is an amazing ball-catcher, and one handsome dude - and I fear it all went to his head.
            They say that there's always love on the road, and in Shadow's case it was absolutely true.  Many was the night when Shadow hung a tie on the knob of his hotel room door indicating that he did not want to be disturbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment