Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Monday, March 17, 2014

The Molly Chronicles - Play Ball



I looked over at Coach Colbrunn. and he gave me the nod to go ahead and hit.  This was exactly like "Casey at the Bat." Casey had let the first two pitches go by and he swung on the third. Like Casey, I clenched my teeth in cruel hatred, and I pounded the bat violently on the plate (hard to do if you're a dog), envisioning the glory and the liver snacks that would soon be mine.
            But then...oh the horror of it all... I remembered the rest of the poem. Casey struck out! In the last line of the poem, mighty Casey struck out.  My heart was filled with dread such as I'd never known. What if I, too, struck out? I froze.
            There was no time to think. The pitcher threw a thunderous fast ball and his aim was true. I swung. As in the poem, the air was shattered by the force of my bat on the ball. (My teeth were a little jarred as well in spite of the mouth guard.)
            The crowd was cheering and chanting, "Go Sox, Go Sox, Go Sox." And then suddenly they switched: "Go Molly, Go Molly, Go Molly."
"The ball is flying. My goodness, that dog is all heart. You should have seen the force she let loose on the ball! The crowd is hysterical. You can't imagine the crying and the screaming. The ball is high up in the air. It's going... it's going... it's going... and it's gone - A home run! The Sox win five to four. What a thrilling ending to a game! Red Sox fans are going to remember this play for a long time."
            I pranced around the bases for the winning run; then I trotted up to the mound and gave the pitcher a nice lick on his nose to make sure there were no hard feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment