Temporary Address

Temporary Address

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Molly Chronicles




So I've been researching my lineage on Ancestry.com, and, remember, I'm related to the great border collies, Old Hemp, and Mirk, and the world renown Wiston Cap. That's on my father's side. Well, my mother was an Aussie - an Australian shepherd. The funny thing is - no one in the family lived in Australia. They just herded Australian sheep in a place called California.

I can trace my line back to great, great, lots-of-greats, grandmother Sadie, who lived about fifty miles east of Sacramento. That was back in the wild west days. So she and her human Jimmie were out on patrol when suddenly this gopher - the biggest gopher you'd ever want to see - poked his whiskers up from the ground and started giving Sadie some serious attitude. Like  "I dare you to catch me."

Sadie all ready to pounce


In no time at all, Sadie was head deep up to her shoulders in the hole, and brick-orange dirt was flying around like mosquitoes in August. Faster and harder - Sadie kept digging, harder and harder still. Clay, small rocks, chunks of tree roots, they all got launched through the air.

Well, wouldn't you know it - a small rock hit Jimmie Marshall in the head, and when he picked it up, he noticed it was shiny. And that was when he went all discombobulated. He was whoopin' and stompin' and hollerin' like a cow on loco weed, and he ran all the way into town yelling "Gold!!!!  Gold!!!!" So that's how they say James Marshall discovered gold in California.

They never did give Sadie any credit, but I don't think she minded much.

The gopher got away.

No comments:

Post a Comment